To give you an idea of just how amazing and magical our time was at Le Petit Hôpital, here are some photos from and of the gang:
Oh, the hours spent at the Best Dining Table in Europe. Epic, epic meals one and all.
Mrs. Pants spent many hours near and in the pool.
Mrs. Pants and Luca played the very, very old piano (and washed their hands before doing so!).
Alfio made his famous frittata for lunch one day.
Marco and Giovanni played burraco next to me while I worked on my laptop.
Half gay bike gang! The villa was equipped with a ton of bikes, naturally.
The gang went to Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and Avignon during our stay (but admitted they really just wanted to stay at the villa forever).
Treats appeared at various times, but no one was ever fast enough to take a picture before we descended on them.
Giovanni made pasta with mussels and shrimp, with plenty of bread to dunk in the exquisite broth afterward.
Marco twirling his amazing carbonara for yet another scrumptious lunch.
Giovanni gave hilarious Italian lessons off the “small” kitchen each morning over coffee.
Mr. Pants bought all the wine that was drunk at the villa that week, which was no small task.
Luca and Alfio played Machiavelli in the inner courtyard, which was our central meeting place.
- Mariela gave everyone hours-long massages in the main salon
- Mel floated in and out among epic naps and taking pix of Maggie Mostro
- I sat at the head of the table for every meal, choking back happy tears as we toasted to ourselves
- Mrs. Pants started drawing again!
- Mr. Pants DJ’d with smooth jazz, Big Band tunes and sometimes with Giovanni’s Italian trash pop
- Late afternoons on the back terrace in the sun
I am telling you – get the right group together, and book yourself a villa. It’s the only way to go. And that’s as objective a review I can give of one of the best times of my life!